Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Backtracking: Part one

Disclaimer: These next few posts are basically for my own records. A friend convinced me that I need to journal my experience (brain tumor) of these past 7 months --something I've been avoiding. I was going to do it in my dairy but I'm running short on pages. Anyway feel free to read but it will probably be mostly boring. Thanks!

While I was in Portland I noticed the headaches I'd been having were getting worse and not letting up. I had started paying close attention to my symptoms: 2 types of headaches daily, one a blinding, stabbing pain above my right eye and the other a dull ache that lasted the majority of the day and would intensify whenever I bent down or moved too quickly. This headache was also accompanied by a few seconds of dark spotty vision and muffled hearing.  I had been experiencing these symptoms for at least a year by this time and I just thought it was going to be a part of my everyday existence. I tried not to let them slow me down but it was hard. I noticed my ability to focus and concentrate was deteriorating and it was really starting to worry me.  It wasn't until I moved to Portland that I was really able to go see a doctor. Oregon requires its students to purchase student health care I recently became insured. For that reason I figured I should probably go to the doctor.

The appointment was set for a little less than a week before thanksgiving last year.

No comments: